Petit Bot

Petit Bot

Wednesday 26 August 2015

10 Things A Type1 Diabetic Hates To Hear


Being a type 1 diabetic isn’t really a walk in the park, the mood swings, blood sugars and health concerns are just some of our problems. Making people aware of our diabetes is something we have to do just in case and while questions are fine there’s some things we really hate to hear!
1. “But you’re too thin to be a diabetic”It’s all genetic! How many times! Yes, not everyone is educated on the differences in types but please don’t make assumptions based on a stereotype! You can be any size when type 1 can hit you nothing can prevent it. 
2. “So where do you keep your ‘Epipen’” 
Epipens are for allergies, we’re not allergic to sugar, if so we literally couldn’t eat anything without dying! I understand the pens look similar but it’s very different! 
3. “I couldn’t do that, I’m so scared of needles!” 
Firstly, you get over a fear like that pretty quick because it’s what you need to live and secondly the needles are so tiny you can hardly see them. I personally struggle to have either someone else inject me or have a full sized needle used on me. 
4. “So did you have too much sugar as a kid?” 
See point one for the whole genetic side of things but I also feel this one is very annoying is it not only implies that you had no self control but also suggests your parents were at fault and just let you be reckless. Nope! 
 5. “So have you done your injection?” 
This is personal to me and one I find very annoying! I understand completely that it’s said in a genuine caring way but I can’t help but act almost like a child when this is said to me.. Of course I have, I’m not unconscious am I? Leave me alone! 
 6. “Are you sure you can you eat that?” 
Similar to the last point I get childish over this.. Please don’t try to lecture me on what I can and can’t eat. I’m fully aware of my condition and barring a massive head trauma it’s not like I’m going to forget anytime soon. Diabetics can have the occasional treat too! 
 7. “My grandma just got diabetes too” 
Well I feel bad for your grandma because I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy but grandma most likely is a type 2 and the treatments and causes are very different.. I’m not like grandma! 
8. “Shall I get you some diabetic chocolate?” 
Honestly, get me some real chocolate, it’ll last me longer because I can’t eat it all at once. Plus you don’t want to hear about all the nasty laxative effects that come with diabetic foods, keep it away! 
9. “I’m so stressed lately!” 
Please don’t! Stress is difficult I get it but at least you don’t have the problem of your blood sugars playing up too! 
10. “Oh I’m always ill!” 
Similar to the last point, unless your immune system likes to play up like the lucky diabetics do then your cold you’ve had for a day is not the same as 'always ill’. 
Hopefully after reading this you’ll think before you say any of these! But please, if you have questions don’t be afraid to ask them just think about your phrasing.

3 comments:

  1. i 100% agree! Im Hannah, 18, living on an island just like you, love swimming and my dog.

    I do get all of these as-well, and its very nice to see that someone else gets them as-well, not just me! the most common one i get is “i couldn't do that, im so scared of needles!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, i didn't mean to publish it unexplained!
      and i had completely forgot to say that i have had it since i was 2, so 16 years.

      what i was going to say was that i just say “i have done it for years” and “i do it 4 times a day so i’m used to it” and “the needle is so small” but i get “but it is still a needle” yes it is still a needle but it really is tiny!

      others may understand how nice it is to read something that i can relate to,
      thank you and i hope to hear more of you :)

      Delete
  2. I 100% agree!

    I have had type 1 diabetes since i was 2, meaning i have had it for 16 years already, and the most common thing i get is “aren't you scared of needles”, i say no as i am use to them a-lot but i get sick of it, like they never understand that i have to have it around 4 time a day!

    this was very useful to read, thank you!

    ReplyDelete